Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile My Website Previous Previous
Job stuff - in the biscuit tin
Job stuff
Some of you already know from real-life conversations (I know! :o Those still exist :p ) that I'm not very happy at all with the 'new' management in our workplace ('new' being since September last year, so more than enough time for things to settle). I know from experience in previous roles that as soon as I feel untrusted and unsupported at work, it is basically game over, and Friday was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to mention that I've already been in this job for 7 years and feel ready for a change. I'm being deliberately vague, because yknow, it's the internet, and nothing's certain at this stage.

So I applied for another job. I figure you have to take your opportunities where they find you, and I've wanted to work for this school for a while (I actually already had an interview there in 2011, and still retain a very good impression of the place from that time; furthermore, a very experienced former colleague works there, and I figure if it's good enough for her...). My only problem is that it's a January start. For a teacher this is bad news. Particularly when you have a three-month notice period, and there would only actually be two months between an offer and starting in the new place. (In France employees are quite well-protected, but at the same time the contracts are probably the only things in our school that are properly sewn up. So I don't know exactly what they would do to me for breaking this particular clause.) And particularly when you have final-year students who are (and will still be, in January) in the throes of final assessments and exam preparation. So guilt hit me like a truck at about 2am today. (I bloody love my students. I really do. And my school doesn't exactly have a great history of hiring appropriate replacement staff even when they have had plenty of time to recruit.) But I applied for the job anyway.

Obviously applying for, and netting, any job is a multi-stage process. You have to firstly get the interview, then get offered the job (at which point you can of course still turn it down if you want to). So it's early days. Equally, I don't know WHY it's a January start. If it's because it's a maternity/temporary contract (all we've been told in the job ad is that it's full-time), I may not want it quite so much: permanent contracts in this country are like gold dust, and I have one. Furthermore, I don't know what else is going to happen in my life in terms of trying for a baby; JM has also started applying for jobs in other countries. So I also have to ask myself whether it's worth changing job for all of six months, or whether I should just grit my teeth and carry on regardless of how unsupported I feel.

So I'm now on tenterhooks waiting to see what will happen next. Preliminary Skype interviews are set to take place this week, with proper interviews (and, I suppose, observation lessons etc) due to take place in the fortnight following that. The next three weeks might be a little bit tense. I just hope that I'm not wrong to go for it.

Tags: , ,
Current Mood: confused confused

4 comments or Leave a comment
el_staplador From: el_staplador Date: October 21st, 2015 08:44 am (UTC) (Link)
Fingers crossed it turns out to be what you want it to be!
angelil From: angelil Date: October 23rd, 2015 06:31 pm (UTC) (Link)
I hope so too! Just a shame that I don't know what I want from it right now :p Had the phone interview on Wednesday, and they've invited me to the school to teach some observation lessons on November 4th, so I'm hoping that when I go back to the school for those, I'll have a better idea about the whole thing.
davidnm From: davidnm Date: October 25th, 2015 09:26 am (UTC) (Link)
A bit of a late comment, but good luck if it's still relevant!

Jobs stuff is always an absolute pain :(
angelil From: angelil Date: October 28th, 2015 03:24 pm (UTC) (Link)
It is, isn't it? Have the proper interview next week, with 4 hours of observed lessons on top. PETRIFIED because I don't know what will happen next, what I will do if I'm offered it...etc :-/
4 comments or Leave a comment